Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hugelkultur !

We recieved shipment of 10 free trees from the arbor day foundation the other day, and didnt really have any place ready for them yet. After reading the planting instructions they say to plant them  somewhere nice for a year, and then you can transplant them to their final location.

I thought this would be a great chance to try my hand at a little hugelkultur experiment. For those who don't know Paul Wheaton over at Permies.com has a great write up on hugelkultur. From what I've read people in desert settings might see the greatest benefit through water savings with this method of creating garden beds. Being the desert rat that I am, I said lets give it a go.

I've had a lot of spare firewood laying around and some of it was quite marginal when I first got it, so I took a few of them and soaked them in some buckets that I collected rain water from awhile back.  Fast forward like a week, and its time to go in the ground.  After digging a trench and adding the soaked logs as well as some dry stuff, i interspersed it with 50% composted material from my compost bin ( oh and about 100 red wigglers came along for the ride! )  then covered that with a thick layer of native soil and a little bit of finished compost/cow manure. watering between layers.

Tomorrow we will plant some trees and see how it goes, I plan on posting up a little video on this later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment